My Journey as a Newbie into the World of Mainframe: Success & Failures
Project and Program: Enterprise Data Center
, Professional Development
, SHARE Pittsburgh 2019
This is just my story about doing Bachelors in Computer Science with a specialization in Mainframe Technology (People are mostly unaware of existence of this kind of program) and my little experience in the world of Mainframe. Starting from the Application programming (University) to mainframe Storage & now
as a developer for a well known backup and recovery tool in the market.
Agenda: • My start into the world of Mainframe when I was 18 at University until now, 25 years old at Broadcom.
• The story reflects the challenges, the first look at the ISPF screen, working on Cobol, Rexx, Assembly Programming, Metal C, Python etc.
• Traveling and learning opportunities. About attending my first big technical conference, my learning and failures from the conference.
• Changing the mindset of young people as well as the old people towards Mainframe (Legacy System). The Mainframe is not dead, but it is in fact getting stronger.
• The Mainframe is huge and there is a lot to explore. From Machine learning to cloud Computing; you can do almost everything.
• A lot of opportunities in the field of Mainframe because of the retiring workforce (experienced People)
Back to Proceedings File Library