Managing Application Compatibility in Db2 for z/OS Continuous Delivery
Project and Program: Information Management
, SHARE St. Louis 2018
Db2 11 introduced the concept of application compatibility as a package's APPLCOMPAT bind option or the CURRENT APPLICATION COMPATIBILITY special register. It was added to handle the application's incompatible behaviors introduced by a new release and to enable new SQL functionalities such as new SQL syntax and semantics.
Application compatibility is extended to support specification of function levels in Db2 12 for z/OS including a more granular information with the modification level to follow the same format as function levels. As new function levels are introduced in DB2 12 for z/OS Continuous Delivery solution, the corresponding new application compatibility values will also be introduced for application usage.
This presentation covers how to manage applications through function level changes, to either a higher or lower level (star function level), best practice for handling application incompatibility issues as well as exploiting, retaining new application/SQL features compared to non-application features.
* Level set on application compatibility
* How to identify application incompatibility to avoid failure as going forward
* Data definition language SQL statements and application compatibility
* Examples of old/new application exploiting new features as function level changes
* Requirement for IBM data server clients and drivers with application compatibility V12R1M501-Tammie Dang-IBM Corp
Back to Proceedings File Library