- Event Home
Presentation Tips and Guidelines for Speakers/Chairpersons
San Antonio marks the debut of a brand-new presentation format! The template provided now features a 16:9 ration due to a widescreen upgrade to the projectors in all session rooms at the winter event. As a result, all speakers must format presentations following a 16:9 layout in an effort to make SHARE presentations uniform as well as to ensure you will be able to utilize the full screen potential. While all session speakers are not required to use the provided template, we do request that all SHARE-wide speakers (SHARE Management Training, SHARE Orientation for First-Time Attendees, Open Board, etc.) use this template for presentations. Our hope is that using the template will help to decrease your preparation time. Here are the versions for download: San Antonio 16:9 Template (.pptx) or San Antonio 16:9 Template (.potx) .
Tips for Using the Template
- Use Arial font. The title slide should include the title of the presentation, the speaker name, the date of the presentation, session number, and any other information you would like to include. Title slides should follow a 40-point title font size and a 30-point font size for all miscellaneous information. Titles on all other slides should use at least the 28-point font size with other text at least 14-point.
- A footer is provided on every slide that we do not recommend altering. If you wish to add additional content to the footer (i.e., copyright information, session number), we suggest doing so by inserting a text box between the event logo and standard copyright detail.
- Use the current slide template layouts, or feel free to insert your own layout style.
Transferring a Presentation from 4:3 to 16:9
- Step 1 – Find and Fix Images to Prevent Stretching*
- On the first slide with an image, right click on the image and select "Size and Position"; within "Size" under "Scale" make sure the box next to "Lock aspect ratio" is checked; adjust the height and width under "Size and rotate" using the up and down arrows until you have acheived the desired result.
- Do this for all remaining images to prevent stretching.
- Step 2 – Switch Template Setup from 4:3 to 16:9
- Go to "Design" then "Page Setup"; under "Slides sized for" choose "On-screen Show (16:9)," select "OK" to close.
- Note: Custom art created using text boxes and shapes will most likely not transfer well. In these cases, we recommend recreating for the new format.
- Step 3 – Apply New Theme (San Antonio)
- Go to "Design" and select the second down area to the right of the theme box; add the bottom of the pop-up choose "Browse for Themes"; find the .POTX template on your desktop and select "Apply."
- Note: If your current presentation has a theme applied, you will need to go to "View" then "Slide Master" to remove extraneous themes.
*When switching from 4:3 to 16:9, images become distorted if you copy and paste so we recommend against this. If you choose to attempt to copy and paste, we suggest that you group all items from the slide before transferring for a better result.
If you have any issues or questions regarding the use of this template, please contact us at speakers@SHARE.org.
- Prepare your presentation as if it were intended to be an online Web page. This ensures the flow will make sense during the session, and when viewed remotely or after the event has passed.
- Avoid large picture inserts (reducing the size of each inserted graphic helps with download time).
- Avoid animations, motions and/or fancy transitions.
- When deciding on a font size, keep the back row of your session in mind. Will they be able to read the message that you are trying to communicate? The template tips above should help you choose a proper size.
- Three Level Rule — the ideal visual has a maximum of three levels of information with each level containing only one or two bullets/graphics.
- A typical rule-of-thumb is to have one slide for each 1.5 to 2 minutes of the speaker portion of your presentation (not including any Q&A time). Stick to one topic per slide. If you have multiple slides per topic, the same title should be used on each slide with the abbreviation "cont'd" at the end of the title in all instances after the first use.
- As you prepare your presentation for PDF conversion (if you choose to submit it for online viewing), consider using the "Screen" format in the properties, instead of iBook or Print formats.
- Avoid embedding fonts in your PDF.
- If you would like your speaker notes to appear, please prepare the file in that format for submission.
- Presentations with external links or font references will not be included.
- Include contact information at the end of your presentation.
SHARE reminds all speakers to properly use trademarks and intellectual property. Specifically, SHARE recommends that all trademarks be presented in capital letters, and that they be used as adjectives, and not as nouns, verbs or generic names.
SHARE also recommends that the appropriate designation be used in connection with registered (®) and unregistered (™) marks, with an acknowledgement of the owner. In addition, SHARE advises that any use of the intellectual property of a third party must comply with applicable federal and state laws.
In order to provide our members with information regarding non-IBM products, we have made provisions to allow vendor presentations at SHARE. To provide this information in an orderly fashion and in a manner consistent with the mission and policies of SHARE, the following guidelines must be used:
- The session chairperson will read the following statement at the beginning of the session: "This is a Vendor Sponsored Presentation. SHARE management has approved this presentation, based on the recommendation and review by program management. The SHARE Canons of Conduct and Policies will be followed in this session. Specifically, an attendee must not engage in sales activity, including direct or indirect solicitation, or conduct any other activity contrary to the purpose of SHARE. Should there be any indication of potential violation, I will stop the session."
- The presentation must be technical and specifically NOT sales-oriented. Presentation of prices, or other marketing information, will not be permitted. If continued, the session will be curtailed.
- Vendor presenters are not to collect business cards from attendees or gather attendee information by any other means.
PLEASE NOTE: The technical program focuses on the interchange of technical information and the discussion of the technical merits of given strategies, architectures, products or services in furthering the SHARE ideals for achieving business results through education, professional connections and opportunities to influence the IT industry. The incidental discussion of product prices, terms and conditions, and industry comparison does not violate SHARE Policy.