Speaker/Presentation Guidelines and Tips
In an effort to make SHARE presentations uniform, consistent, and in line with our marketing efforts, we develop a template for presentations for each conference. While all session speakers are not required to use this template, we do request that all SHARE-wide speakers (SHARE Management Training, SHARE Orientation for First-Time Attendees, Open Board, etc.) use this template for presentations. Our hope is that this template helps to decrease your preparation time! The template is updated for each SHARE conference and will be available on that Speaker Resource page.
Tips on using the template:
- Use Arial fonts. Title slide should include the title of the presentation, speaker name, date of presentation, session number, and any other information you would like to include. Title slide should include 40-point title and 30-point miscellaneous information. Titles on all other slides should be at least 28-point with other text at least 14-point.
- Insert a footer on every slide by clicking on "View," then "Header and Footer," then change the text on the current footer and apply to all. Footer should include any copyright information and the session number.
- Use the current slide template layouts, or feel free to insert your own layout style.
If you have any issues or questions regarding the use of this template, please contact us at speakers@SHARE.org.
- Prepare the presentation as if it were intended to be an online Web page. This ensures the flow will make sense during the session, and when viewed from the Web.
- Avoid large picture inserts (reducing the size of each inserted graphic helps with download time).
- Avoid animations, motions and fancy transitions.
- When deciding on font size, keep the back row of your session in mind. Will they be able to read the message that you are trying to communicate?
- Three level rule -- the ideal visual has a maximum of three levels of information and each level containing only one or two bullets/graphics.
- A typical rule-of-thumb is to have one slide for each 1.5 to 2 minutes of the speaker portion of your presentation (not including any Q&A time). Stick to one topic per slide. You can have multiple slides per topic. In this case, the same title should be used on each slide, with the abbreviation "cont'd" at the end of the title in all instances after the first use.
- As you prepare your presentation for PDF conversion (if you choose to submit it for online viewing), consider using the "Screen" format in the properties, instead of iBook or Print formats.
- Avoid embedding fonts in your PDF.
- If you would like your speaker notes to appear, please prepare the file in that format for submission.
- Presentations with external links or font references will not be included.
- Include contact information at the end of your presentation.
SHARE reminds all speakers to properly use trademarks and intellectual property. Specifically, SHARE recommends that all trademarks be presented in capital letters, and that they be used as adjectives, and not as nouns, verbs or generic names.
SHARE also recommends that the appropriate designation be used in connection with registered (®) and unregistered (™) marks, with an acknowledgement of the owner. In addition, SHARE advises that any use of the intellectual property of a third party must comply with applicable federal and state laws.
In order to provide our members with information regarding non-IBM products, we have made provisions to allow vendor presentations at SHARE. To provide this information in an orderly fashion and in a manner consistent with the mission and policies of SHARE, the following guidelines must be used:
- The session Chairperson will read the following statement at the beginning of the session: "This is a Vendor Product Presentation. SHARE management has approved this presentation, based on the recommendation and review by program management. The SHARE Canons of Conduct and Policies will be followed in this session. Specifically, an attendee must not engage in sales activity, including direct or indirect solicitation, or conduct any other activity contrary to the purpose of SHARE. Should there be any indication of potential violation, I will stop the session."
- The presentation must be technical and specifically NOT sales-oriented. Presentation of prices, or other marketing information, will not be permitted. If continued, the session will be curtailed.
- Vendor presenters are not to collect business cards from attendees or gather attendee information by any other means.
PLEASE NOTE: The technical program focuses on the interchange of technical information, and the discussion of the technical merits of given strategies, architectures, products or services in furthering of the SHARE mission of achieving business results through education, professional connections and opportunities to influence the IT industry. The incidental discussion of product prices, terms and conditions, and industry comparison does not violate SHARE Policy.