SHARE in Orlando
Technical Sessions Addressing Relevant Topics in IT Heat up Orlando
SHARE hosted nearly 1,100 Enterprise IT professionals in Orlando, Florida, August 7 – 12, 2011, for a week filled with deep-dive discussions into the latest industry developments, engaging networking events and new professional connections. SHARE attendees selected from over 500 technical sessions offered during the week, engaged with over 40 industry exhibitors in the Technology Exchange Expo and mingled with fellow IT users to discuss mutual interests and solutions.
The commitment of our Strategic Partner: IBM Corporation, and our Premier Sponsors: Innovation Data Processing, Luminex, Oracle and Hitachi Data Systems allows SHARE to continue to bring valuable content and industry leaders to IT professionals. We are also grateful to our exhibitors and sponsors for the Technology Exchange Expo.
On Monday, August 8, SHARE President, Janet Sun took the stage to welcome SHARE attendees and introduce keynote speaker Bill Capodagli of Capodagli Jackson Consulting.
Bill surprised attendees by riding into his presentation on a scooter, which he then gave away to an audience member. This set the tone for a discussion on the importance of building a creative workplace and embracing your inner childlike spirit. Bill’s engaging presentation addressed many of the findings from his latest book, titled Innovate the Pixar Way: Business Lessons from the World’s Most Creative Corporate Playground, which is the definitive account of Pixar’s creative culture. Bill’s approach to the workplace served as a glimpse into the opportunities and results that can arise when mutual respect, trust, collaboration and fun are part of the professional culture.
On Tuesday, August 9, Dr. Gururaj Rao of IBM Corporation took the stage for his keynote presentation, The New Era of Smarter Computing: Optimized Systems.
As an IBM Fellow at the Systems & Technology Group, he is responsible for establishing the technical direction for IBM’s Enterprise Systems. Dr. Rao discussed IBM’s vision for building smarter computing through an IT infrastructure that is designed for data, tuned to the task, and managed in the cloud. Dr. Rao cited several IBM client examples of how this approach has worked to create efficiencies, optimize IT investments, lower the total cost of ownership and create new business opportunities.
For more information on the SHARE in Orlando keynote presenters, click here.
Top-notch Technical Content and Product Announcements
SHARE in Orlando attendees
SHARE brings together product experts and user experiences to provide attendees with a variety of educational opportunities. At SHARE in Orlando, some exciting product announcements were unveiled, including IBM's zEnterprise 114 (z114). Four technical sessions were facilitated regarding the newest addition to IBM's mainframe family, and a running z114 was displayed on the floor at the Technology Exchange Expo, which powered our hands-on lab sessions. At SHARE in Orlando, CA Technologies announced expansion of their Mainframe Linux Management Portfolio by signing global licensing and distribution agreements with INNOVATION Data Processing and Velocity Software.
Many additional IT hot topics were discussed in-depth at SHARE in Orlando. Cloud computing was an area of interest for many SHARE attendees, and 12 technical sessions were executed and provided a place for users to discuss this growing trend. Eight sessions addressed the Implications of Watson to Enterprise IT. This hot topic featured sessions such as Beyond Watson: Technology Implications Today and In the Future and Behind Watson: The Hardware and Software (Linux on Power) Used to Deliver Watson.
Both cloud computing and Watson were topics of discussion leading up to the event on SHARE's President's Corner Blog.
Best Session Award Winners
SHARE is proud to feature a variety of technical sessions from users and experts around the world. In recognition of their exemplary presentations, SHARE congratulated the below session presenters, and their organizations, for receiving the highest attendee ratings from SHARE in Anaheim, held in March 2011.
Application Architecture Development
- Lyn Elkins, IBM Corporation for z/OS QMgr - Monitoring & Auditing (Including SMF and How to Use It)
- John Monti, IBM Corporation for LE Crime Scene Investigation - Finding Debugging Clues in LE Dumps
- Alfred B. Christensen, IBM Corporation for Getting the most Out of Your OSA Adapter with z/OS Communication Server
- Nalini Elkins, Inside Products for IPv6 Addressing
Enterprise Data Center
- Mike Biere, IBM Corporation for IBM's Business Intelligence (BI) and Analytics Update
- John R. Palmer for Living on Mainframe Time -- A User Experience
- Rich Lewis, IBM Corporation for Understanding IMS Locking
- David Lytle, Brocade Communications Systems for Understanding FICON Performance
Linux & VM
- John Franciscovich, IBM Corporation for z/VM Single System Image and Guest Mobility Preview
- Brian Gormanly, Information Technology for At the Fun House: Experiences Tuning Oracle, Linux and z/VM for a Large
- Peter Enrico, Enterprise Performance Strategies Inc. for Sysplex: Introduction of Coupling Facility Requests and Structures for Performance
- Gary King, IBM Corporation for To MIPS or Not to MIPS, That is the CP Question!
Best session award winner in the IBM category: Alfred B. Christensen* pictured with SHARE President Janet Sun
*Adrian Jones is pictured above, as he accepted the award on behalf of Alfred B. Christensen
Best session award winner in the USER category: Peter Enrico pictured with SHARE President Janet Sun
Best session award winner in the VENDOR category: David Lytle pictured with SHARE President Janet Sun
Mainframe Academy Scholarship Program
CA Technologies will be awarding over $1 Million in Mainframe Academy scholarships through 2016, and members of the SHARE Board of Directors will participate in selecting the award winners, who are individuals who demonstrate a desire to master mainframe programming skills. The first scholarship was announced at SHARE in Orlando. Congratulations to Daniela Ferreira de Paiva, Systems Analyst at BRQ IT Services in São Paulo, Brazil for receiving this honor!
Find out how you can apply for a Mainframe Academy Scholarship.
SHARE Live!, SHARE in Orlando’s virtual conference option, provided the user community with an alternative education option, mindful of travel restraints and workload conflicts. Selected content from each day at SHARE in Orlando was streamed live, providing quality technical content at manageable costs. SHARE Live! participants also received access to the recorded proceedings for 6 months post-event.
SHARE Attendees Connect Virtually
SHARE in Orlando attendees took advantage of the opportunity to discuss their experiences virtually and can now stay connected with new professional contacts on the web:
Daily tweets helped attendees stay updated on conference milestones and tune in to updates during the week by tagging and searching for #SO11. Stay connected with SHARE throughout the year by following “SHAREhq” and tagging your IT comments with #SHAREorg.
By becoming a fan of "SHARE Inc.," attendees were able to post comments and pictures from sessions and networking events to the SHARE wall.
More than 600 IT professionals have joined the "SHARE Inc." LinkedIn group to interact with valuable professional and personal connections, and the discussion board is a great place to share ideas and pose questions to fellow users.
Before and during SHARE in Orlando, attendees received the latest updates via these sites. Stay in touch with contacts made while in Orlando by continuing to engage with the SHARE community online!
SHARE Elections Winners
The SHARE Board of Directors thanks everyone who participated in the Board of Directors elections, held at SHARE in Orlando on August 10, 2011.
Congratulations to the following candidates elected for the office of Director:
James Vincent, Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company
A. Harry Williams, Marist College
SHARE wouldn’t be what it is without high-impact, high-value input from legions of individual contributors. To better recognize these outstanding efforts, SHARE continued the RAVE – Recognize a Valiant Effort – Program at SHARE in Orlando.
The following individuals were recognized by their peers for their contributions to enhance networking, assistance, support and presentations while at SHARE in Orlando:
- Alexis Bauer Kolak of SHARE Inc. recognized Jim Willette, Sunrise e-Services because “Jim has put in a tremendous amount of time and effort as a member of the Community Enablement Committee. His extensive review efforts and attention to detail have been invaluable.”
- Karla Houser, Caterpillar, Inc. recognized Jim Willette (Sunrise e-Services), Martha McConaghy (Marist College), Marlin Maddy (IBM Corporation), Mike Buzzetti (IBM Corporation), Rosalind Radcliffe (IBM Corporation) and Thyra Rauch (IBM Corporation) stating, “I want to recognize and thank these individuals for all of their hard work in planning for and helping to arrange the SHARE-wide series of sessions about IBM’s Watson technology for SHARE in Orlando. Without their help, SHARE would not have been able to offer the series of sessions related to the business implications of Watson to Enterprise IT. They are a great team to work with!”
- Karla Houser, Caterpillar, Inc. recognized Ellis Holman, IBM Corporation because “Ellis has done a great job managing the Enterprise Data Center’s twitter account, SHARE_EDC. Since SHARE in Anaheim, he has been regularly communicating the EDC Program’s activities via Twitter. Thanks to Ellis’s efforts, you can follow the EDC Program on Twitter using #EDC. Thanks Ellis for all of your hard work!”
- Martha McConaghy, Marist College recognized Jim Moling because “Jim Arranged LVM Program dinner and trying to please a bunch of Sysprogs is not easy!”
- Kristine Harper, Rocket Software recognized Anne Caluori, SumThinking because “You would think after volunteering for SHARE for 30 years, one might consider stepping down and handing off the work to someone else. But even after such a long history of dedicated volunteer service, Anne Caluori has recently stepped up to take on the large important task of creating and recording online training sessions. Anne did an outstanding job for the First Time Attendee Orientation, Speaker Training and Chair Training recordings! I encourage you to check these out online. Thank you very much, Anne!”
- Thyra Rauch, IBM Corporation recognized Karla Houser, Caterpillar Inc. by stating “Talk about “just-in-time” presentations! Karla filled in for a speaker who fell ill at the last minute to give the session on search engine optimization (SEO). Way to go, Karla!”
- Carl Gehr, Edge Information Group recognized Craig Schneiderwent, State of Wisconsin “For assistance over and above the call of duty in assisting with the planning and dealing with the scheduling for the LANG Project.”
Save the Date
SHARE in Atlanta
March 11 - 16, 2012
Omni Hotel at CNN Center
Attend SHARE in Atlanta and engage in discussions with industry experts, network with other users and select from hundreds of technical sessions on a wide-range of relevant industry hot topics.
Visit SHARE in Atlanta for more information.